Sunday, December 2, 2007

Why is the television holiday season focused on Christmas?

As Hanukkah approaches on December 4, 2007, I'm wondering where are the Jewish television celebrations? Shouldn't there be a show called the festival of lights? Or a short story or cartoon tale of the Maccabees?

I'm not Jewish. I think that growing up Christian it was natural to watch the holiday traditions like the Grinch that stole Christmas, the Little Drummer Boy or like. Thinking about it now, I'm wondering how many non Christian children had to watch those shows and wonder what about their religion? Whether you were a Jewish, Buddhist, or Muslim child you must have wondered why the American culture only focused on Christianity and Santa Claus, instead of your religion. I would have.

Looking back, I now wish that I had been introduced to other cultures and religions through our mainstream media we call television. I think we would all be better off in the end. Maybe more understanding for one another? More tolerance?

Well to all my friends who don't celebrate Christmas, I simply wish you a wonderful winter wonderland and joyful season.

0 Comments: